Allison in Africa

I have been to Kenya three times, totaling nearly twelve months from 2003-2008. This blog is filled with a few of my thoughts, stories and pictures from my second and third trips (January-March 2006 and May-August 2008), mainly around Kitale and Mt. Elgon in the Rift Valley Province.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

More of Kitale


I liked to buy honey from this guy with a cart. It came from West Pokot, an arid area about 40km away. You can tell it is real because there were still bees in the honey inside the bottle. You had a choice of getting a bottle that was 1/2 full with bees/ honeycomb etc or with only a few token ones. Even the token ones that were in ours made in unappealing for Mike, so I happily ate it all by myself on pancakes and in tea. The sister booth in town had a big sign on it that said 'Asali ni Dawa' which means 'Honey is Medicine'. Once I gave a bottle to some mzungu friends of mine as a present and they looked at it very strangely... likely because it is 'packaged' in exactly the same recyled rum bottles that all the street boys use to stiff glue from.

Going through the markets made me feel like I was seeing a row of shops with the walls and rooves swept away by a tornado, leaving only the seller and the contents in place. Below you will see a Home Hardware, and a Bulk Barn, and a La Senza Lingerie shop. All next to eachother under the shade of some Blue Gum trees.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home