Allison in Africa

I have been to Kenya three times, totaling nearly twelve months from 2003-2008. This blog is filled with a few of my thoughts, stories and pictures from my second and third trips (January-March 2006 and May-August 2008), mainly around Kitale and Mt. Elgon in the Rift Valley Province.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mike arrived!

Addendum...Apologies for no posts lately... The internet has been spotty at best since Mike arrived on July 2, and understandably (I hope!) I have had othter things to keep me occupied, since he came, which meant less time looking for internet connections!

A quick note to say that my husband Mike has arrived safe and sound on Kenyan soil, after a couple flight delays... But, nothing out of the ordinary for transcontinental flights, I'm sure!

Luckily I have made a friend who is a travel agent in town, and she managed to switch Mike's internal flight to land at Eldoret (2 hours away) since he had missed his flight to Kitale (10 minutes away!).

I think Kenya, it's transport, the chaos of matatu touts vying for business, the cows on the road, the garbage everywhere, and the sight of a bare-bottomed baby sitting in a pile of maize meant for human consumption has left him wondering just where his dear wife has brought him...But, thank goodness there is still cold Coca-Cola and french fries at easy reach.

Each day seems to be getting a bit better- today he has started using a little notebook to record phrases he learns, and is getting lots of laughs when he tries them out :) A crowd pleaser, for sure!

After a day of rest and 'orientation' to Kitale, Mike joined us in field work, which meant riding public transport- the buses and bicycles- and talking to local farmers. I felt a bit badly for Mike as, amazingly, my Swahili is getting much better, and it is harder for someone who doesn't know the language to follow along on the conversation. Twice I have even conducted the whole interview in Swahili, which was thrilling for me... tough, I was very happy to have my research assistants madly writing notes as I didn't always get EXACTLY what the respondent was saying... that's okay... I could follow along, and we sorted the details later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home