Allison in Africa

I have been to Kenya three times, totaling nearly twelve months from 2003-2008. This blog is filled with a few of my thoughts, stories and pictures from my second and third trips (January-March 2006 and May-August 2008), mainly around Kitale and Mt. Elgon in the Rift Valley Province.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Maendeleo & Fireless Jikos


Here I am with Limu, a field officer for SCC-Vi in charge of one of the areas I am working in. We are both holding versions of the Kuni Mbili (two firewood) stoves- mine is in a metal casing that makes it portable- you can just open a latch to insert the wood. Limu's is one that can either be used as is, or fixed into clay as you can see in the poster below.

This stove is one that is promoted by the Ministry of Agriculture, along with the Fireless or Basket Cooker you can see at our feet. Both are made by women's groups as income generation projects, but they are both relatively slow to catch on, compared to the Chepkube stove that is a local innovation, cheaper and more easy to make from locally available materials. I also think the Chepkube uses less fuel, although I don't have a good way to proove it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home