Allison in Africa

I have been to Kenya three times, totaling nearly twelve months from 2003-2008. This blog is filled with a few of my thoughts, stories and pictures from my second and third trips (January-March 2006 and May-August 2008), mainly around Kitale and Mt. Elgon in the Rift Valley Province.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

To smile or not to smile...

I partnered up today with a more experienced enumerator who was surveying people in her area to determine the impact Vi Agroforestry has had over the last few years. As we were waiting for a vehicle to pick us up again (we were part of a team... first all dropped off at seperate locations, then later all picked up again in the big land rover), I saw a nice scene I wanted to capture on camera... a typical little village in front of a beautiful back drop of the Cherangany Hills and its farms in the background.

It was only after I clicked that I realised the three men standing at the crossroads did not look pleased at all. It dawned on me moments later why... as we continued down the road past the buildings I had photographed it became apparant to me that I may have inadvertantly taken a picture of the very men that had chased the occupants out of the burned and abandoned butchery, hair dresser, corner store, cafe and kiosk that made up the tiny center. I wonder where they go now to buy things, as all the shop keepers (mainly the Kikuyu tribe) had obviously been made not welcome (this is the nicest way possible to describe what must have taken place here a few months ago!)


While out in another village, we stopped the car for a bit to wait for others to join us. Soon, the group of school kids outside loitering around eating sugar cane grew from five to about 30. They all just formed a big group and stared both shyly and intently at the same time. Finally, I felt a bit unnerved, and leaned out the window to talk to them. "Hello"..."How are you?"..."do you like school?"..."What subject do you like?" (my swahili is still sort of limited, and it's always awkward for me to talk to groups of chlidren I don't know...)

Then, finally, a crowd pleaser "would you like me to take your picture?"... ah, yes, finally, smiles all around!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home