Allison in Africa

I have been to Kenya three times, totaling nearly twelve months from 2003-2008. This blog is filled with a few of my thoughts, stories and pictures from my second and third trips (January-March 2006 and May-August 2008), mainly around Kitale and Mt. Elgon in the Rift Valley Province.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Around town

Street musicians! This was a beautiful sound and a pleasant surprise. They were the first buskers I saw in Kenya, and I was captivated by them. The laminated pieces of paper on the ground were letters from various government people giving this man permission to solicit money from people via playing instruments with his children on the street. The reason was to raise medical fees. The man himself had some sort of physical deformities, but I'm not sure if the fees were for him or another family member. I'm pretty sure the instruments were traditional ones. They were pretty successful.

A misty morning- my last one at SCC-Vi, I captured a few pics of boda bodas by the agroforestry center.


Roasted maize! (mahindi choma!) Juliet (front) treated Okumu, Mike and I to half a cob for an after-work treat.
Although people say riding boda bodas are less than safe, I'm not sure there are any better options, judging by the condition of mirrors in this taxi we took.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home