Allison in Africa

I have been to Kenya three times, totaling nearly twelve months from 2003-2008. This blog is filled with a few of my thoughts, stories and pictures from my second and third trips (January-March 2006 and May-August 2008), mainly around Kitale and Mt. Elgon in the Rift Valley Province.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Thomas and the Fish



I love this photo because we are so happy about this dressed up, but dead fish. How wierd to be so happy about something so dead. Anyways, it was tasty.

The fish is a Tuna, and was caught somewhere close by. The other cook bought it in the morning in town and came back with it in a plastic grocery bag, with its head and tail both sticking out. The cook in the picture is Thomas. He was my other kiswahili 'teacher', together with Francis. Thomas is immensely patient with people learing languages, and has great pride in the swahili language. I am getting on to more advanced vocabulary this time, because he tried to teach me the word 'to reheat'. Apparantly that word is not used very much because Francis, my other adopted 'teacher', challenged him on it- he didn't want to see me being led astray by false phraseology. We had a tense few minutes as they were both sent scrambling for the dictionary, to prove their honour. In the end, the older Thomas won out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home