Allison in Africa

I have been to Kenya three times, totaling nearly twelve months from 2003-2008. This blog is filled with a few of my thoughts, stories and pictures from my second and third trips (January-March 2006 and May-August 2008), mainly around Kitale and Mt. Elgon in the Rift Valley Province.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A little layover...

A Canadian, an Irishman, a Kenyan and her daughter are gathered together in Wales... Sounds like the starting of some joke? Not really... I am happily sitting in the upstairs of the townhouse of some dear friends I met the last time I was in Kenya. Now Donall and Nancy are married and have moved to Wales with their daughter Popet where Donall studies. Two years older, we have all had quite a lot happening in our lives, and it is fantastic to catch up with them again!

I must say, I love this free layover option with British Airways!! I spent yesterday with another friend of mine from college days- and her husband and new baby (Keiko/ Richard/ Noah for those of you in the know) and will return to them (Watford- close to London) Thursday night after leaving this green, sheep-filled country of Wales.

It is so odd to be in such a juxtaposed culture. A culture that still feels a bit strange- but a bit closer to my own. I was struck by how British the buildings looked- and all the food that looked like it was from a British candy shop... ha ha ha... Silly Allison.

Last time when I returned from Kenya I experienced reverse culture shock in a big way. This time, although things seem a bit strange (like pre-washed and cut vegetables in the supermarket, traffic that follows traffic rules) I'm sure it won't be as harsh a readjustment. It is really good to have this time with friends to talk about the differences between Kenya and 'the West'- people who know both places so well.

1 Comments:

At 2:57 PM GMT+3, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to have you with us, Allison -envious of your brown tan amidst the blue-white of our Welsh ones...(!) Natumaini umerudi salama -saa hizi uko ARUK, nathani, halafu ndege ile kubwa -ile haina feathers...
kaa salama,
DX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home